Amaury Pineu Duval, Les Fontaines de Paris, anciennes et nouvelles (Paris 1828) page 19.
The sculptural decoration was created by Pierre-Nicolas Beauvallet (1750-1818) between 1806 and 1809. Because of the deterioration of the original work, the statue of Antinous was replaced by a copy made by Jean-François-Théodore Gechter (1795-1844) in 1844.
The Fontaine was one of the fifteen constructed by decretal order (May 2nd 1806) by Napoleon to provide Paris of fresh drinking water. It was also to commemorate Napoleon’s military campaign in Egypt. The fountain was constructed against the wall of what was then the hospital for incurable patients (Hospice des Incurables, now Hôpital Laënec).
The fountain is to be found in the Rue de Sèvres, number 42. It was in working order until 2005, when it was shut down because of leakage into the nearby Vaneau Metro Station.
The title refers to an Egyptian fellah, or peasant. The statue is a copy of a Roman work of Antinous which was discovered in the excavation of Hadrian's villa in Tivoli in 1739. The statue was removed by the French Army from the Capitoline Museum in Rome in 1798 and brought to the Louvre. It was returned in 1815 after the fall of the First Empire. The Antinous statue is now in the Vatican Museum.
Antinoüs, around 135 AD, white marble, Height 241cm, Museo Gregoriano Egizio inv. number 22795, Vatican City
Amaury Pineu Duval, Les Fontaines de Paris, anciennes et nouvelles (Paris 1828) 17-19.
Bernard Champigneulle, Paris, de Napoléon à nos jours (Paris 1969) 38.